11-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Hurricane-proof would be my #1 consideration in your neighborhood.

If we had to do a new roof here on our current house, I would check to see how close those Tesla solar shingles are to being available. I would also make sure that whatever roof I was considering was compatible with solar panels, which may render architectural aesthetics a moot point.....
“Hurricane-proof” is likely cost prohibitive for a replacement roof. There are some roofs that are rated for up to 150 mph and carry commensurate warranties, but they are also costly and you need to hope the company underwriting the survives a catastrophe. Most “regular” roofs will be damaged in a storm and require repair, covered by insurance. We have actually been waiting for a storm to do enough damage to get it replaced by insurance and it hasn’t happened (and I’m not interested in working with a roofer to scam the insurance company).

I read a bit about the Tesla solar shingles and will look more closely at them, but there were two things that concerned me: cost and installation timeline. I read it could take up to six months to complete the install and we just can’t have that going on for six months, particularly with Hurricane season.

The concrete tiles support solar panels, as there are a few in my neighborhood that have gone up.
vreihen1615259.00