11-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
“Hurricane-proof” is likely cost prohibitive for a replacement roof. There are some roofs that are rated for up to 150 mph and carry commensurate warranties, but they are also costly and you need to hope the company underwriting the survives a catastrophe. Most “regular” roofs will be damaged in a storm and require repair, covered by insurance. We have actually been waiting for a storm to do enough damage to get it replaced by insurance and it hasn’t happened (and I’m not interested in working with a roofer to scam the insurance company).

I read a bit about the Tesla solar shingles and will look more closely at them, but there were two things that concerned me: cost and installation timeline. I read it could take up to six months to complete the install and we just can’t have that going on for six months, particularly with Hurricane season.

The concrete tiles support solar panels, as there are a few in my neighborhood that have gone up.
Unfortunately we had to do our roof about 5 or 6 years ago. We had the original flat concrete tiles from the 80s and were just having leak after leak to the point where none of the roofing companies I contacted would even work on it saying them being up there would just make it worse.

Anyways our HOA doesn’t give us any choice but to go with concrete tile. I would have personally gone with shingle or metal. The cost difference between shingle and concrete is huge and from my understanding it’s basically just decorative and offers some protection to the material below which is what actually stops the water.

I was also told the flat tiles had better hurricane/wind performance, but we went with barrel style tiles as we just liked the look better and the performance numbers were not that far off.

Another thing to consider is wood rot damage. The roofing companies will guesstimate a number for how much wood they will replace, however they don’t actually know until they rip the old one off and see what is rotted underneath. If you don’t have any leaks then maybe it will be minimal, but for us it was significantly higher than what our quote included.

Also we were told its good to get tiles from a company that will continue to produce them for many years as if you need to get some replaced down the road you will still be able to buy them. We have some extras stored aways anyways.

As for the tesla roof tiles I would look into that carefully as I’m pretty sure they have been sued over those tiles. I think they showed them off and started selling them but no one was actually getting them installed because they either didn’t work or didn’t hold up or something. I believe they started installing regular solar panels on peoples houses instead. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410968.00
vreihen1615182.50