vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Also, don't try and build an autocross car when everyone around you is just into drag racing. And the only shops around are only into drag racing. And the only race courses around are drag strips.
I did pretty well with only a dirt track race shop nearby. Most of the dirt track suspension parts and hardware crossed over nicely onto my A-Mod project car, and they even had a shock dyno and did damper tuning to your specs. Several coneheads in the area bought their Snell SA helmets there, and I picked up one that had some sort of rubber coating on it so that pebbles kicked up from the front tires on my open-wheel car didn't chip up the gel coat on my stock class helmet.

Funny drag racing story. One of the neighboring SCCA regions used to run their autox events at a well-known drag strip. After a day in the cones, a half dozen of us went and ran the evening drags for fun. After two runs, a woman working the grid came over and asked me what I thought about drag racing compared to autox. I handed her my two time slips...with .508 and .513 reaction times (.500 is perfect, and .499 is a red light)...and asked her if they were any good for someone who had never drag raced before? She said that most of the drivers in the grid would kill to have one of those reaction times per night. Never went drag racing again, since I found it even more boring than the main straight on the SLime Rock Park road course as soon as the launch from the tree was over.....