View Single Post
      05-31-2019, 04:09 AM   #9
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenM5 View Post
I have a black sapphire metallic M5 and looking at repairing or doing the following work. Any comments on the sequence and what I am getting done.

Current status: There is a clear half bra fitted to the front of the car. It has seams that show. Probably 5 years old as it would have been installed when new by the first owner.
I have one of the sto-n-sho front plate holders now. The holes for the front license plate are still in the original bumper and other small chips in the bumper, unsure if they are just damage to the clear bra or more.
There are a couple of minor scratches on the body paint.
The paint is showing signs of swirl. It is not bad, but visible.
The rear bumper has got some fine cracks in it.

My plan is to rectify the above by going down the following path.

Are you allowed to use a "sticker" registration plate? We can use them in Scandinavia.....

Remove the clear half bra.
Have the front and rear bumper repaired in a body shop. They will do some plastic welding to repair and then a full spray paint of each of them.
I have also purchased some RKP carbon fibre splitters from eBay. I will get them painted and installed by the body shop. I will have them installed using the tape so that they can be removed later on.
Have the body shop do touch up only on the couple of minor scratches on the body.
Take the car to a detailing ship for a paint correction to take out the swirl marks. Apparently about 2 days work.
Apply a clear coat over the whole car at the detailing shop.
Apply a clear wrap to the front bumper and fender surround. But not half way up the bonnet. Apply a clear wrap around the wheel arches.

The car only gets used a couple of times a week as I ride my bike to work as a general rule. I am pretty good with cleaning it once per week and waxing it every 6 to 8 weeks. I have found a source of the chemical guys cleaning stuff here.

I am not really after a perfect car for showing, but I would like to get the car back to good condition and then maintain that.

Any comments on the plan and the sequence of the work?

First time I have had a good enough car to worry about going down this path so any advice or comments appreciated.

Thanks

Glen
Are you allowed to use a "sticker" registration plate? We can use them in Scandinavia.......
Attached Images

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0