Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I saw your other thread but not this one until now. What you're experiencing is the same thing that has happened to me. Back story, I bought my car and within a day, the bass stopped coming out of the speakers. After running ISTA tests, etc. I determined my amp was bad. I found a used one on eBay, same xx523 part number as listed above (matching the one in my trunk) and replaced it. I did not code it to the car, so I will get a shadow code now of the vin's not matching. Something I will take care of down the road when I get access to coding software. Anyway, fast forward a few months and I had what you describe, happen to me. I let the car sit for a while and when I came back out, all was normal. It has happened 3-4 more times since then, most recently being 2 days ago. I also think it is related to battery state of charge because it sets a code when it happens. The code is related to power for the amp. So that crackle/pop is the amp stuck in a boot mode I think, with a burst of power coming through the speakers. I cringe when it happens because it doesn't seem good for the speakers! I know my original battery is on the way out, so since it doesn't happen often, I'm not going to do anything until the battery gets replaced this spring/summer. If it happens after I get a new battery, I might suspect there is an issue with the amp. I'd get myself another spare if they weren't so damn expensive, even used! I wonder if anyone specializes in repairing automotive amps? I kept my original as it still played music fine, just no bass. I would think that could be repaired by an expert!
Appreciate 1
Washabi146.50