View Single Post
      11-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #144
ticat928
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 m5 SMG, 2008 m5 6-sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93M3ofSFL View Post
Rod bearing , on 2nd leg to Grand Rapids now ...
Careful driving back in the cold weather if you are on summer tires.

Went to "Tail of the Dragon" a few years ago in November never got above 40 degrees, was ok driving down from a heated garage.

First run through the 300+ turns in 11 miles was great since tires still warm from 3hr drive, but a long stop till the advanced group (in the Bluegrass BMW CCA) got to run again allowed tires to cool to ambient at 38 degrees.

I was aware of the huge traction drop off of my Pirelli tires at cold temps but braking for first turn was like being on ice nearly drove into side of cliff (better than off of cliff on following turn)

A dozen more turns and traction started coming back, my buddy's Super Sports did better in the cold but they overheated at 9 mile mark and he started running wide and crossing center line. Amazing how much heat is generated when more distance is covered driving a turn (some over 180 degrees of arc) than on straights

Since you are from Miami, thought i would share this, for all i know you are aware, but i would have felt bad if i had not given you a heads up and something happened
Appreciate 0