View Single Post
      07-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #11
yoogene
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFURNO View Post
This is actually a super easy DIY. It took me less than 10 minutes to access and complete without having done it before. There are a few tricks to keep in mind.

First, I found the easiest way to remove the old clamps is to release a little ear holding the loop together with pliers.

Cut the old lines in half with a blade.

You probably won't spill any coolant. But put a towel under the lines before you cut them.

The kit was actually available at the local dealer.. Came out to be about $70 but it's a bit of a joke. You could probably assembly the same thing for $6... I went for the kosher.

However, the BMW kit *does not* come with shielding. If you need this done, you've probably cooked your shielding.
So I noticed I had this same issue the other day after getting the low-coolant error on the dash. I initially added about a liter of purified water to get some fluid in the reservoir, and the light hasn't come back on. I collected silicon hose and some clamps, but I'm waiting on the heat shielding to come in from Amazon. I also ordered the smooth clamps from Amazon as well and hope they arrive sometime next week so I can redo this thing properly, but I just want to get a temp fix to prevent coolant from continuing to leak.

I tried to knock this out this morning, but couldn't tell if the BMW supplied heat shields were reusable. Most of it seemed to disintegrate upon contact, so it's pretty much toast, but I need something to "shield" the heat until the new ones arrive. Is there a trick to pulling them off? I tried to pull them open like a button, but it didn't jive and I wasn't sure if they were one time use.

I added about a liter of water this morning, and I have an appointment with the BMW service center on Monday (for a separate issue) and wanted to get them to check the coolant levels to make sure the system wasn't low.

Any other tips?
Appreciate 0