10-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saflang View Post
With the stereo off, and driving 'sanely' with the family we here a rapid constant ticking sound coming from the front of the car. My wife says it sounds like crickets. It's only there under low-mild acceleration (when everything else is quiet enough to hear it), I'm sure it's there as well under greater acceleration but then everything else is making more noise. Anyhow the sound instantly disappears when you take the foot of the accelerator. So I'm thinking it's injector sounds or something like that. The frequency of the ticking doesn't seem to increase with rev's or speed. It's just an annoying sound, albeit a quiet one. Do any of the rest of you hear this sound? If it's a common M5 sound I'll forget about it, otherwise aarrgghh.
i think i am getting something similar
when u start your car tomorrow morning (cold start), come out of a car and stay next to the front left wheel, i think it is coming from there

it disappears when engine is warm enough, at least on mine, after 15-20 minutes of driving

i dropped my car to bmw yesterday, i should have an update tomorrow, as i want them to look at few bits and pieces around a car

if they did not forget about it, i will let you know what they have said

for me it sounds like some pulley not sitting properly or it wears out
Appreciate 0