01-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I like a 5w-40 for extra protection on the bearings. Troy Jeup swears by Red Line 5w-50 both for his builds as well as for those on the original motors; it's got a crazy high HTHS of something like 5.0.

Look up Ravenol VST 5w-40, look at the specs, and tell me if you find one that's better. (LM isn't it.) You can get it at Blauparts to your door here in the States.

BMW went to their 0w-30 in early 2015 from the 5w-30 they were previously using, but BMW LL01 says you can run up to 5w-40. Actually, with the sulfur taken out of US gasoline now via EPA Tier 3 Sulfur standards that began on 01.01.17, you can actually run a BMW LL04 if you wanted (half the sulfated ash content; ≤0.8 SA vs. ≤1.6 SA.) I might consider Ravenol Racing RUP 5w-40 if I can still even get it, for my next annual oil change. 0.8 SA and a 6.0 Noack with an HTHS of 3.9 - hard to beat that.

No more exceptions for small refineries beginning 01.01.20 - it's 10ppm sulfur in US content gasoline now just like it has been in Europe for years.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...20-webinar.pdf

Quote:
LL-04 (2005). API SM/SN. ACEA C3 (similar to A3). SAE 5W30, 5W40. The LL-04 oils have been greatly misunderstood in the past but this is now in greater demand. Most LL-04 oils are intended for Diesels, although it was also approved for gas engines in Europe and other world markets. BMW never certified LL-04 for the US (see next paragraph). Diesel oil has long been valued by engine builders and tuners because of its higher levels of ZDDP and higher HTHS ratings, both are excellent indicators of engine protection at higher temperatures. LL-04 also has a lower SAPS value which is good news for direct-injection engines (all BMW turbo engines since 2007). You won't find Genuine BMW LL-04 sold here but Red Line Euro-Series oil is produced around this spec.

As part of the efforts to make engine oil more environmentally friendly, the US EPA required ZDDP levels to be reduced in gasoline oil. However, Diesel oil was exempt from this ZDDP reduction. BMW never certified LL-04 for the US market because a) there weren't many Diesels for sale here, b) it was incompatible with the high amounts of sulfur and Ethanol in US fuel. However, since 2014 our gasoline more closely matches European sulfur levels and interest in LL-04 has increased. LL-04 and LL-01 are interchangeable/compatible but LL-04 is preferred for its higher ZDDP and low SAPS. Food for thought: the official BMW Motorsport oil recommendation for the M4 GT4 race car is a LL-04 spec oil. Our race team uses Red Line Euro Series 5W40.
https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-Engine-Oil/

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing

Last edited by AirBull; 01-15-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0