View Single Post
      03-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoogene View Post
Sooo I finally gathered up all my gear and found the time to do an oil / air filter change amidst all the forced time away from the office. Car is currently sitting at 48,xxx KMs or roughly 30k Miles, and the previous service was done at 41,xxx KMs, or 25.5k Miles. Car had burned a quart by 47,000 KMs, so i felt it was due.

Purchased 2 x 5qt jugs of Liqui Moly 5w-40, a Winix oil filter and DNA motoring air filters from Amazon. Also got an extra 1qt Liqui Moly 5w-40 as the backup oil in the trunk of the "low oil" light comes back, but hopefully I won't need it.

I also picked up the suggested oil filter removal cap, which took me a while to figure out how it worked, as it was an extremely snug fit on the oil filter housing.

I took my time, got the car on a 4 post, and proceeded to drain the oil. After a lot of unnecessary torque, I got the oil filter off, and managed to get oil everywhere. This was reminiscent of my old b6 a4 with the 1.8T that would spill oil everywhere whenever you removed the oil filter. Any tips of the trade for keeping the removal clean is appreciated!!

I raised the front of the car from the jack points with a middle hydro jack and pulled the remaining 1-1.5 qts of oil from the oil coolers. All said, I still let the oil drain for 45 min and until the oil came out at a very slow drip.

Replaced the oil filter and crush washers and buttoned everything up from the bottom, but still managed to have some oil drip on the floor. The skid plate appears to be catching and releasing any remaining oil the spilled over from the oil filter, as I keep getting continued dripage after getting home. I'm going to continue monitoring this as I hope this isn't an actual leak from the filter or the drain.

Finally got to the top of the engine, and spent 30 minutes fighting the T20 torx screws until I realized the whole housing was mounted with one t20 torx off to the side. After that, installation was a snap and the car feels much quieter with the new oil and filters in place. Going to give it a romp tomorrow after checking the oil seepage and make sure everything is good to go.
Looks like a bit of work that service you did and I know there is a trick someone used to 'funnel' the filter oil when you undo it so that it goes straight into the catch container, can't place who it was tho.
It's worth getting a torque wrench and actually doing the lug nuts up yourself at 102 lb ft, a few posters have complained that theirs were over tightened by way too much torque and especially lock nuts ruined by forceful removal.
Wanted to ask,did you hire the ramp out as that would be more preferable to those who want to do a service themselves than crawling under a nearly 2 ton car on jacks etc.
Appreciate 0