View Single Post
      03-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
yoogene
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Looks like a bit of work that service you did and I know there is a trick someone used to 'funnel' the filter oil when you undo it so that it goes straight into the catch container, can't place who it was tho.
It's worth getting a torque wrench and actually doing the lug nuts up yourself at 102 lb ft, a few posters have complained that theirs were over tightened by way too much torque and especially lock nuts ruined by forceful removal.
Wanted to ask,did you hire the ramp out as that would be more preferable to those who want to do a service themselves than crawling under a nearly 2 ton car on jacks etc.

Appreciate the tips! Luckily i watched a youtube clip of Bob Mac spilling oil everywhere, and it prepped me for the inevitable. I like the idea below of going slow to let the oil flow out a little before releasing it from the catch.

The lock nuts are my biggest pain; if i can't get them off with a new key, then i have to find a shop that will be able to take them off. Unbelievable the amount of torque they put on them.

As for the lift, I went to the Auto Hobby Shop here in the Army Garrison and rented a stall for $5/hr. Luckily they weren't busy, so i had free run of the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbellz View Post
Where is the drain plug for the oil cooler? Does the dealer normally drain that too? How much oil did you need to refill given you drained the oil cooler too. I did my 1st oil change this weekend and it took a full 9 quarts without draining the oil cooler but I did let it drain for 30 minutes or so until it dripped.
It didn't have a separate oil drain plug, but rather, if you allow the oil pan to drain for the full hour, you'll get all the oil out of the coolers as well. I just tilted the front end up in hopes of expediting that process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Here's the one I got and it worked great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regarding the oil mess, unscrew the filter just enough so the oil starts to slowly drain into the pan. Wait about 5 minutes and it will pretty much stop. Then you can finish unscrewing the filter and if you're careful, can lower it without any of the remaining oil sloshing out down your arm or making a mess on the belly pan.
The sounds like a plan! I'm definitely taking note of this for the next time i do the oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
For over-tightened lug nuts, nothing works better than a 1/2 breaker bar and a pipe. Leverage is your friend! Just used those to loosen the belt tensioner on the Armada. Very versatile!
Indeed! Unfortunately, my problem was with the wheel locks; the wheel key deformed after trying to unscrew the rear wheel, and now i'm stuck with these wheels until the new key and bolts arrive. I hate these service center knuckleheads that just jam the lugs with a impact gun until it almost seizes. ugh.
Appreciate 0