View Single Post
      07-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I grew up similarly. My dad was an alcoholic who was very violent with my mom and with me as well. When I was 15 I turned on my dad and fought back and he never touched me again. My mom died when I was 17 and there is no doubt in my mind it was because of the life he gave her. Never wanted to be like him.

Got married young at age 20 and have given my wife a good life. I drink but I'm not an alcoholic and I never get violent. In 3 days we will have been married 46 years. I am nothing like him. My wife loves me and so do my kids. This, to me is normal life. What my mom lived and what I lived as a child was a nightmare.

I believe it's different for everybody. Some are meant for marriage, some are not. It doesn't work for everyone and there is no point staying together if you are unhappy. Don't know what the statistics are but I do know that a lot of marriages fail. It's difficult, especially if you have kids but they are resilient and bounce back.

PS - I wasn't always around as a teenager but I protected my mom as much as I could.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615366.50
rebekahb3140.50