View Single Post
      10-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
BMW M CEO Friedrich Nitschke gave some insight into certain aspects of future M models when speaking recently to Autocar.

While current non-SUV M models all remain RWD, as horsepower numbers climb for each successive generation of models, the question has arisen whether future models would benefit from AWD xDrive offerings, to help with traction and getting all that power down to the ground effectively; especially considering the AWD offerings from competitors - such as the E63/CLS63 AMG 4Matic and upcoming RS6/RS7 Quattro models.

To this, Nitschke reaffirms M's stance on RWD: "Our philosophy in regards to steering feel and precision is that rear-wheel drive is the best solution," ... "xDrive brings an 80-90kg weight penalty and the M differential is the industry's best rear-drive set-up."
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I also wonder if they will release xDrive in the next few years, here taking BMW's rejection with a grain of salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Maybe there will be M5 xDrive in 2015 to push further sales before the release of next 5 series/M5. Seeing competition and BMW's willingness to keep up in all segments, I am certain that next generation M5 will have an xDrive option.
i is oracle
Appreciate 0