Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
They did this for the HPFP on 335 and 535i's
That's because N54/N55 HPFPs continually failed. They were truly faulty in design (or at least in implementation, it seems that ever since the software was updated to prime the fuel pump before you start the engine the number of HPFP failures has gone way down). BMW didn't have a true fix for the HPFP so they just offered to keep replacing them for free until 100,000 miles (or whatever it was).

In this case, one oil pump was faulty and BMW replaced all of the ones manufactured in that batch as a precaution. They were being nice to make sure no one else had a blown motor as the result of the oil pump failure, it's not like all of the fuel pumps were actually bad. Unless the pump failed like it did for the one guy whose motor blew, there wouldn't be any damage done to the engine.

(I just read laurenxesq's post above about his car dying too) If the issue is more widespread than just the one car that blew during European Delivery, then I haven't really been following this closely but it's clearly not widespread in the same level as the N54/N55 HPFP.

Last edited by Remonster; 11-15-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0