12-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #104
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
BMW lost me with the new “dashboard” that is nothing more than a stuck on iPad. They didn’t even bother to do any design. The Chevy Bolt has a better dashboard than the LCI G20. However, the lack of design isn’t the main issue. The main issue is that everything is now touchscreen and the shitty ergonomics that go along with that.

In addition to the driving dynamics, many of us valued BMW’s form over function ergonomics and the fact that they didn’t follow all of the sheep over the shiny new tidbits cliff. As with BMW’s traditional (and at least somewhat iconic to them) amber dashboard lighting, BMW engineers paid attention to designing controls in a driver focused way. Of course, the fact is that began to change with the E90 and the loss of the dashboard curved toward the driver. I remember saying the first time I saw the E90 dashboard at the Dallas car show, “this looks like a Buick.” I accepted the new design and I loved my E90 330i, but the dashboard design was never as good as the dashboard in my two E46s.

Thank God they left the iDrive controller alone. iDrive undoubtedly adds multiple layers of options to navigate through, but at least there’s a physical way to navigate it. It is virtually impossible to precisely and safely make choices and changes using a touchscreen you have to reach to touch while you’re engaged in driving.
iDrive 8 looks great, can't wait to get my M340i with it. The E90 dashboard is awesome, no complaints haven driven it for the past 3-4 years (other than the cup holders, WHY BMW would you design the front cupholders like that). And so does the E46 dashboard in pictures (never driven it). They all have their own character. I don't see any one as being better or worse, just different, obviously the G20 LCI is very different.

After that, it is just personal preference, which is entirely opinion. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Appreciate 0