View Single Post
      09-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #64
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carholic View Post
Why can't they both be great? I have a Pan GTS and I love it. I ordered an M5 and I am hoping it will be great too.
+1. I have an E63 Wagon and an M5 and enjoy them both, just as you will enjoy your new M5. After all, no reviewer is saying the M5 is a bad car, just that he prefers something else.

If you just ordered an M5 or own one (like some of us here), naturally is is disappointing that "our" car doesn't win a comparison test. It's human nature. So we seek to find something wrong with the winning car to make ourselves feel better about our choice.

I'll say this much though....The M5 was always going to struggle to match its sporty forebears (E60, E39 etc) when BMW decided to use the 7 series chassis as the basis for the 5 series chassis. The car just feels too big on the road to be ideal. The steering is fine (though not as good as the E63 and, it seems, the Panamera) but the car is wide and feels it when the road tightens. I still love it though. A car doesn't have to be perfect to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 0