02-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Thanks! Sorry, I put it in the title but not the post, it's a 2013. '14s seem to have a pretty big jump in the asking price (I'm assuming because of the LCI), and 15s another bump from there. Unless there's a compelling non-visual reason (outside of CP), I'm not sure the extra $s are worth it for me.

I had originally thought i'd be able to pick up an aftermarket warranty if I wanted, but after reading more around here, it sounds like that won't be an option. As such, my biggest hesitation on an older out of warranty M5 is potentially getting butt-rammed on stuff breaking. From what I've read the F10 seems to be fairly reliable, and I don't plan on tuning it, but how scared should I be? I drive <10K miles a year and am fairly handy and willing to do stuff myself*, so I'm hoping at least the regular stuff won't be terrible.

*not that I'd do it with an M5, but as an example, I once did a tranny swap in my garage with the help of a mechanic friend. I've also swapped out a differential (PITA on an '01 cobra), exhaust, and all the regular maintenance type stuff.

I bought my 2015 M5 CP this year with 64k miles for 44k

I also bought 3 year 30k miles warranty for 5k

I'm pretty sure you can find warranty for yours too (for the right price)

From reading what people say, seems like injectors, coils usually go bad.

Some had oil consumation, rear rattle in 2013-2014 models

I highly suggest getting 2015+ because that's when they fixed most of the issues.

if you can't afford it, then i guess just buy the warranty or fix everything yourself. I wouldn't be too scared, these cars are not too hard to work on, I see everything on youtube for them.
Appreciate 0