View Single Post
      05-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
vinsanem5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus ISF/ '16 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Waking up an relatively old thread. I'm changing from Liquid Moly 5w40 to Ravenol 0w40 this weekend. I will obviously do an oil analysis as well.

To give some background. I purchased the car with approximately 15k miles and used BMW 0w30 oil up to 70k miles religiously at 10k intervals. There was a need to add a quart of oil in between services as you would imagine. Nothing out of the ordinary there. The car has been bone stock through the 70k mile mark and I've had zero mechanical problems since day 1 of ownership. After 70k I changed to the green blood Liquid Moly 5w40 at 5,000 mile intervals. I've done 3 oil changes on the LM along with oil analysis from Blackstone on every change. I also have the oil analysis comparing the BMW 0w-30 to the LM 5w-40. My iron PPM on the BMW oil was 22 which was a little high considering universal averages are 17. Nothing to be overly alarmed with.

After one oil change with LM my iron PPM dropped to 13 which is well below the averages. Since then I've done 2 additional changes with LM and to be honest I didn't noticed any operational changes.

After the 3rd LM change from BMW I added a stage 1 tune from BPM. Along with the tune I changed out the coil packs and plugs as well. Since the tune I dropped my intervals to 3500 miles. The oil change this weekend will be the first change with the new plugs, coils and tune. I will submit another Blackstone analysis so it will be interesting to see how the oil behaved relative to the mods. I'm
Now sitting at 85k miles.

As you can imagine with the mileage this is a daily driver. I am however concerned with adequate coverage on cold starts and the spirited runs she gets at least 3-4 times a week. With that said, I've done my homework and decided to move to Ravenol 0w40. I will do the same as I did with Liquid Moly and perform analysis on every oil change. I will post comparisons and any operational changes on how the car feels and behaves.

Wish me luck.
did you still require top offs when using the 5w40 and are you switching to 0w40 for stictly better coldstart flow/protection?
Appreciate 0