05-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #9
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Well if the phone actually worked as well as the fob it would be nice cause I am a creature of the modern era and my phone is tethered to me wherever I go. One less thing to hold. But, as it stands now yeah it's not even as good so I'll still carry the key.
That's fair. I understand.

For me one less thing to carry does not outweigh the risk of my phone's battery dying, or getting lost, stolen, or damaged accidentally, leaving me annoyingly stranded for the price of something the size of a tic tac container in my pocket. I suppose you can lose your key too but nobody really takes their key out of their pocket with the same frequency as their phone. I don't recall ever losing my car keys while outside my home.

And my other issue is that it'll never work as well as a real key because a real key has a real physical key in the fob in the event the battery dies so you can get in your car no matter what. Until they integrate reliable biometric readers in the vehicle like a fingerprint scanner in the door handle, it'll never be as good. If your phone is dead or gone you're SOL. But incorporating that type of technology has its own issues that I have concerns with.

I'm a techie myself. I just don't think technology necessarily needs to be integrated into every facet of life, like something as simple as locking and unlocking my car. I don't see what practical problem it solves, but i see many new problems it introduces.

But for what it's worth, I hope the feature gets better with time to the point where those who want to use it consider it satisfactory I'll just never be one of them.