View Single Post
      03-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Gyrock
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
Seriously - what possible reason would you have for having ceramic brakes on a 4,500 lb luxury sedan? Much more expensive upfront, more easily damaged, much less progressive feel on the road, won't really work well until they've gotten up to temperature, catastrophic failure mode, much noisier and way more expensive to replace. I guess if you think they look cool and can tell everyone that you have ceramic brakes would be the main reason, no?
I think the clue to your incredulity, is the fact you refer to the M5 as a 'luxury sedan'.

Can't speak for the OP, but as my car arrives next week, also specced with CCBs, the reason I took this option is because the car will actually not represent for me a 'luxury sedan', if I'd wanted that I'd have bought a 7 series.

The car will be a daily performance drive for me and be suitable for my line of work, but at weekends it will also and more importantly, become purely a performance drive and surely the reason the car exists in the first place? Last time I looked M stood for Motorsport

Come on, the M5 was built with performance in mind, not with luxury in mind, that to me is secondary. And in fact, just as the M3 CSL had shameful standard single pot brakes fitted to it when it was released back in 2003, it can be properly argued that the M5 should have CCB as standard now if it to truly deliver on it's promises of power and performance.
Appreciate 0