07-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
Here's a good example of what we are doing to minimize engine stress on the S63Tu. Below is a dyno graph comparing our once stock 2015 F10 M5 with Competition Package with it the same car modified with a prototype OTS Stg1 tune and Ti exhaust (OEM downpipes with catalysts still installed):

The goal was to keep peak torque limiter to ~550lbft while trying to maintain it as high in the rev range as possible. Results in a rather healthy ~630whp. But more importantly, the conservative torque in the midrange keeps charge temps cool which means less sensitivity to heat soak and higher knock resistance. This also makes the car easier to drive since there is no big whallup of torque in midrange that tends to bend rods and, at best, makes the car less management to drive hard.
I have been very closely following the tunes and tuners since the beginning and I have to the same conclusions that tuners like you and Allmotor have come to. When the torque curve is tuned to come on early and strong, drivetrains will suffer sooner or later. The recent write ups and dyno charts of the new M5 mimic exactly these results. Seems that you don't need gobs of torque to launch the car in a 1/4 mile situation but it is more important to keep the car together. AWD vs rear wheel drive for the average owner is only apparent in bad weather and an advantage in the 1/4 mile. But, as always, the driver can make all the difference in most cases. I had mine recently tuned and worked with the tuner to mimic your results coincidentally. Excellent work and real world logic.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0