10-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #101
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
The inconsistency in programming prices is unreal.

I lived in Houston last year, had the new X5M blade key fob programmed for my f10, guy charged me $120 for two keys. Each key was only $40 so to me that was well worth it. I had quotes there as high as $350.

I've called about ten diff places and they're all high here in Phoenix. Like others have said - people hear BMW and either don't want to do it, or they charge up the ass.
Now we are talking. The key shown in your picture is programmed the same way like the display key. I believe that the locksmiths either just want to sell their own products or simply exaggerate, since they think the display key requires tons of programming. The display key basically consists of 2 sections: the basic key to open/close/start the car and the display itself to show car data. The display is fed by the module that comes with the kit, the key section is totally independent. So all the locksmith has to do is to pair the key section to the car, like any other key clone out there. My locksmith told me the same at the beginning, but I begged him to try and it worked right away, so the whole story here is about one locksmith to try it. Please also tell them that one successful programming session will result in more customers and better reputation in the community. We need to sell our idea of having display keys in our cars, best purchase for my car hands down!
Appreciate 0