View Single Post
      06-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post
The RAM AIR name comes from the (2) CF air scoops which are mounted on the inside of the front grills, these scoops channel air to the intake boxes.

I have highlighted them in RED below.

Once more information and videos are released I will be sure and post them here ASAP, as I know many members would like to see "real world" results.

This product was only just released officially on 6/14 in Japan.
That's still not RAM air.

You're talking about ducted air into an air box and then into a forced induction engine. Quite simply, it's not ram air. Ram air would imply that you are pressurizing the intake into the engine over atmospheric. Simply, you're providing more air in the intake than the engine (which is nothing more than a fuel / air pump) can pull through at any given RPM and load.

You're not doing that with forced induction. THe pressure in the intake manifold is a function of the turbo and the associated controls (ECU, waste gate, etc.) only. Not the intake. The only thing this intake (or any other intake on a forced induction engine) could possibly do is eliminate vacuum in the intake pre-turbo. That's it. Whether or not that's worth power depends on whether or not the vacuum in the intake prevents the turbo from making maximum boost at the target airflow for the given RPM / load. Vacuum in the intake is bad, but it's not guaranteed to restrict power.

Cool intake, but those gains are hard to believe, even with an engine moving this much air. In order to make that much more power, the stock air filters must be VERY restrictive.

Those little scoops are likely worth less than 5 inches of water in increased pressure inside the air box. Which is about 0.18 psi. I've tested similar systems on a manometer using two x 2" round ducts (high performance ducts such as used on race cars) fed by large oval scoops into the same air box. Max differential was approximately 8 inches of water of pressure.
Appreciate 0