United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93M3ofSFL View Post
This is what Troy Jeup claims

I like Troy's work and I know he uses premium bearings and other parts (like ARP bolts) on his motors. Amongst all of the BMW approved oil viscosities, I certainly believe in the premise of using a 5w-40 for better protection for the bearings and turbos, so who knows, maybe he's on to something. He's certainly seen wear and failure on the internals of these M motors more than most people.

In Tasos Moschatos YouTube videos rebuilding an S63 motor, he shows you what the bearings look like on that motor and even says something like, "I don't know what oil you're using but if you continue to use it, your bearings were going to fail." One thing I have picked up from the BITOG forums is that HTHS is a better metric for comparing motor oils, and with the push by BMW to go with this new CARB/EPA friendly "FE" (stands for Fuel Efficiency) 0w-30 BMW LL-01 FE, the HTHS is supposed to be ≥ 3.0, whereas LL-01/04 call for ≥ 3.5 HTHS. The LL-01 FE HTHS is just too low, IMO, and is more interested in a small gain in fuel economy than the bearings in your M motor. Most LL-01/04 5w-40's will be in the high 3 HTHS but RL's 5w-40 are in the low to mid 4's. RL's 5w-50 is a stout 5.0 HTHS. Both Ravenol and RL have excellent Noack (volatility) numbers, so both are excellent oils for DI motors, especially our Turbocharged Valvetronic Direct Injection (TVDI) S63's.

I'm running Ravenol VollSynth Turbo (VST) 5w-40 right now but am considering maybe going to LL-04 and running Ravenol's Racing RUP 5w-40 next. EPA Tier 3 regs that began to take effect in 01.01.17 reduced the amount of sulphur in US petrol/gasoline to the same EU levels that BMW says LL-04 is approved for on Petrol engines there. I use Red Line's Complete Fuel System cleaner SI-1 with every fill, and I've considered using their 5w-40, as well.

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 1