06-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #16
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
having more cars is always better. There is no one car that can do everything.
That's not true. SUV's can do everything and it's more a matter of level of competence they do everything. Anytime you settle into a single vehicle you are making a compromise. If you settle on a sports car you may be compromised hauling around several people or winter driving but I have driven Mustangs, MR2 Turbo, M2 year round in Canada so it can be done. Likewise you can purchase well equipped SUV's that can haul around the family handle winters like a champ but they aren't going to thrill you on winding roads like a sports car. I would say the best compromise would be something like an M340i that can handle winters with AWD, carry around a lot of people, and pull off a decent impression of a sporty car.

As the owner of an X3M I cannot trumpet it as the solution for everyone because it comes with the same ride quality as an M2 or M3 which isn't for everyone and despite how fast it can corner it's still not the same as driving a sports car fast, sitting lower to the ground. That said I have not missed my M2 even once since taking ownership of the X3M as it does everything remarkably well for my tastes.
Appreciate 2