View Single Post
      11-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #34
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Yea it should work on your 535i as well being that it's an F10. But as long as you have the LED Headlights package.

Yes I've read the threads you're talking about. Hence why I said in the 1st post that some people debate this coding and whether you should even do it. The rationale makes no sense. I've even heard people imply the headlights won't work right because they're meant for Euro spec and we drive on the opposite side of the road. Ummm no. Last I checked Germans drive on the same side. Lol. Don't confuse UK with the rest of Europe.

GFHB actually works, perhaps the naysayers should try it out first hand and see. Admittedly reality doesn't look as perfect as you see in the video. Namely the "tunneling" effect you get when following a car. Although the lights do move in the right directions and do tunnel, there isn't a hard cutoff as you see in the video. Still in my book it works to a fairly high degree.

Its hard to tell if that video has some digital enhancement in order to accentuate the GHFB effect for demonstration purposes or indeed that is raw video showing real LED lights in action. Also I haven't been in any heavy fog yet that would clearly show the light beams and what they're doing and how well it cuts off.

Are these "inferior" US spec lights? Could be. But I don't know how/why BMW would try to save a few cents on an option that they charge over $1k for. It's not as if these headlights are standard. I'd say it would make sense to them to make all LHD and RHD headlights the same from the money standpoint. I know someone said that they opened them up personally and know for sure. I won't argue with that because I haven't. So maybe. If so, I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense if they did that. If these were designed specifically for the US market then they shouldn't be codable at all.

The main reason GHFB is coded out intentionally is because of DOT regulations. Audi has had killer active headlights for years now. It's even more accurate in beam cutoff than BMW. Almost like a dot matrix. However we here in the US can't enjoy those either. Some of these archaic laws have to change for the new tech out there. As if the laws are there for safety. These smart headlights are actually safer! Laser lights and headlights that even project safety information on the road surface or highlight obstacles are the wave of the future. https://www.wired.com/2017/01/bad-au...nt-allowed-us/ I guess there isn't enough pressure and incentive to make a change. Car manufacturers are still making money upcharging them as an option. Yet they have to decode them. Lol. They know 98% of people don't know the difference or care that much. Except us.

I've done quite a bit of miles with this coding. Even if it's true that it doesn't work 100%, I'm happy. As you can see, everyone else who has coded these are. I haven't been high beamed even once by oncoming traffic. Yet that right side high beam stays on and let's me see far down the road. It tunnels when following cars adequately without bothering the car in front. In both modes it allows me to see street signs/possible obstacles on the right side of the road. In many ways it's a huge difference from being decided and in all a win-win situation.