01-11-2021, 04:24 AM   #47
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
2018 M3 (F80) checking in. Coded using the first example, most of the code was very similar the only difference being F025 I think was different. I also had 4 options for the first parameter but they appeared to look the same.

I tested it today and while it didn't look just like the perfect BMW video, I could definitely see the tunneling and the lights dodging oncoming traffic. It was so amazing, so much that I was staring at the light instead of watching the road.

EDIT: Upon further research it appears that the US-Spec cars indeed have different headlight units versus the Euro-Spec cars. Check out this thread for more info. It could explain the weak "tunneling" I was experiencing, but since I live in the city and high beams aren't something I use often I figure it's probably ok.
Great to know it works on the F80! I was curious to hear it working with the F80 because most of the coding amongst F series seems to be similar. As long as the hardware is there. Good to know that it's a "yes".

Excellent find with the thread you posted, thanks! I've actually read the first 5 pages couple years back. Hence why I said earlier on this thread that coding this is controversial to some and they advise not coding this feature in on US cars. Some have even reverted to decoding them after trying it out.

But I haven't seen the new updated recent pages till now, so thanks for posting the link here. On page 8, it's now been definitely confirmed that BMW has used different headlight hardware on N American headlights as compared with Euro. Even inexplicably using the same part numbers! Even though they're talking about the F80 headlights and not the F10, it's safe to assume BMW has done the same on the F10. If they did it on one model, you can bet they would follow suit on another. Who knows what their weird corporate justification was for it but it's petty to say the least. The evidence that makes me feel they did the US F10 same as the US F80? The beam behavior that we're observing here on coded F10 US cars is the same they are observing on their US F80s.

They've mentioned that coding GFHB requires 12+ lines, maybe because that's on e-sys? We surely didn't have to do so much via BimmerCode to get it working as described on this thread. Perhaps a few important parameters are missed? Guess I have to look into that.

After reading that thread I surely have to disagree with some of the naysayers saying that coding on US cars is dangerous or glaring other drivers. Ok, so the hardware is different. Sure the cutoff is not as sharp and that's going to mean that there is some light bleed. Agreed. But I think it's a exaggeration to say it's dangerous and blinding other drivers. I've driven plenty of miles and have been watching the headlight behavior very closely. NOT ONCE have I ever been flashed by another driver. Directly incoming or otherwise. Not one time. Whenever I've followed another vehicle I can tell I'm not glaring the other driver in their rear view/side mirrors. Whenever I followed my friends I'm sure they would have told me something. Never happened.

IMO I disagree with those who think that US cars are decoded for safety because the hardware is different, and thus the coding makes the headlights operate inappropriately/outside of parameters. My observation is there is no glare to other drivers. The cars are decoded simply to adhere to DOT regulations. Nothing else. All in all, I still stand by what I said earlier. It's still coding worth doing and it makes a difference. Hands free, safe high visibility driving.

If any of you guys are observing other drivers getting glare let us know.