View Single Post
      01-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Plugs and coils, or just plugs?

I have 70k miles on my 2013 F10 M5. The plugs were changed (based on Carfax) at 26k miles. The car is running fine (no misfires) in all regards but I'm planning to change the plugs to stay ahead of any problems and they are due.

I have an indy shop that will replace the coils as well with no additional labor charge. FCP Euro is running a special until 1/7 with 19% off, so I can save some money buying the parts now.

I've read many posts about replacing coils. Some posters say no need to replace the coils unless there's a problem. But I'm wondering since I can save a bit by buying coils and plugs now, and not have to pay extra to have the coils installed, it might be a good idea.

This might be a matter of whether or not I feel like spending an extra $185 to replace the coils. Or is there a mechanical/technical reason why I should replace both the plugs and coils together?

Given the infrequency with which both plugs and coils are replaced, I'm thinking to just go ahead and have both replaced.

Or an I missing something? Thanks for your opinions.