View Single Post
      10-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #101
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

How do we *KNOW* that this was a 6MT and that launch control was not used? Can someone provide a link to those details?

I think the Model S is an awesome car. The reason I did not get one was not performance and was not range, it was: (i) it is unclear whether the company will survive, and I didn't want to be stuck with an orphaned car, (ii) not enough experience with the performance/reliability/durability of the assembly-line produced version of the car (all tests to date are with hand made cars)-- too much risk of hassle/disappointment and (iii) in this class of car, the driver comfort, cool options and overall luxury/refinement are very important-- and the M5 is in a different world in that regard. So, even though the cars are similarly priced and have similar performance, I think the risk-adjust cost of the Tesla is higher and the daily driving pleasure of the M5 is higher. I think this even though the operating costs of Tesla are a lot less (not so much with PG&E in California, but in general).

That said, based on what I see/expect, this will be my last M5 and it will be replaced in 5-6 years with the next-gen Model S.
Appreciate 0