View Single Post
      04-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #23
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Lots of opinions and theories here on heat soak.

I have spent time with thermo couples placed in the engine bay and by the air inlets in front of the radiator and could find NO difference in temps i.e temps rise at the same rate, hit the same max temps when sat and 'soaked' and dropped at the same rate when moving - same thing has been done by Trevor at BMS. IATs are the same.

Also as soon as you move over ~10 mph the engine bay temps have dropped near ambient and ignition timing pull. Don't forget you can use full torque in first due to traction and time/load in gear so no timing will be pulled and you will already be doing over 30 mph and fully flushed the engine bay with fresh ambient air.

Don't forget when stationary the air in front of the radiator but still inside the front bumper cover is as hot as the air in the engine compartment.

When I do fit my Ramair filters I will do the same tests just because I like testing.

Note on OEM air boxes - they are $3K and the lids are not avaliable seprately... so just cut neatly with +1" left on the lid so you can rejoin using the Ramair provided hose and clips.
Appreciate 1