01-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #17
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
My experience with Patriot thus far has been promises on the phone, but verbiage in the actual contract that speaks to the contrary.

First was the issue over the aggregate limit; I was told it would be the price that I paid for the vehicle but when I got my contract, it was only $15,000. They bumped it up to $40,000 when I pointed this out, but that was just the first of what have become multiple discrepancies.

Then I continued to read and realized that my particular contract had the shop labor rates capped at $125/hour when I was specifically told there was no cap, and as an example, if my BMW dealer charged $199/hour they would pay it. Well, that's not what my contract says.

I don't agree with the sentence they included in the same section I. subpart P., Repair Cost, where they say "they reserve the right to supply the covered replacement part/parts needed to complete the repair." I'm pretty sure my BMW dealer would not allow that and I'm not putting salvage or used parts on my M5. If they are willing to pay retail for parts, then they should be able to simply omit that sentence.

Then, read further under Section V for Exclusions, and note F: automated manual gearbox transmissions (DCT, PDK, SMG,) are not covered. So there goes any protection for our transmissions.

But the biggest thing that was just getting to me was why in the first place were they even detailing all these sections of "what is covered," if in fact, it was an exclusionary policy like they advertised on their website? Turns out, it's not really an exclusionary policyas under V. subpart L., they specifically say that any and all parts which are not specifically listed under these previous coverage details are thereby excluded under the terms of this agreement. That's called an inclusionary policy where they specifically list what IS covered. A bumper to bumper warranty is a good example of an exclusionary policy, where they don't waste their time telling you all that is covered, they simply tell you what is not covered, like tires, brake pads, and other wear items.

To me, this contract and others like it just read like they are going to find a way out of paying your claims should you need to file one. Look how the policy defines what actually constitutes a "breakdown", which is the only way they will pay. They may even be nice once or twice, but this policy is not exactly worded in your favor and if they want, they can probably find a way out of paying your claim.

Me personally, I'm going to keep looking.

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0