View Single Post
      06-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Drivetrain Malfunction, Multiple Misfires, getting worse...

Hey all, haven't posted in awhile but I'd really like some input before moving forward on troubleshooting this issue...

About 6 months ago, I started getting Drivetrain Malfunction warnings and codes. Unfortunately I don't have the codes from those occurrences but I can assume they are the same as they are now. I did some general troubleshooting, ended up pulling off my JB and the problem went away. I'm pretty busy so I tossed the JB on the shelf and didn't think about it much until recently.

I've again (without the JB installed) had the Drivetrain Malfunctions come up. This time I went ahead and got Rheingold set up and pulled the codes which tell me the following...

- Combustion misfires, several cylinders: Fuel Injection is switched off
- Combustion misfires, several cylinders: detected
- Combustion misfire, cylinder 3: Fuel injection is switched off
- Combustion misfire, cylinder 3: detected

I've done quite a bit of reading and understand that the problem is likely one of the following...

- Spark plugs
- Coil packs
- Injectors
- Ionic control module (does the 2013 F10 M5 have this? I didn't see anything that looked like the part online looked like)

To start the troubleshooting process, I swapped the coil from cyl 1 with the coil from cyl 3.

I also went ahead and cleaned the air filters (K&N) and the MAF's... Since the problem is not being caused (just exacerbated) by the JB, I went ahead and reinstalled it...

Took the car out again this morning and got the exact same codes and report for the same cyl 3 misfire. What confuses me is that it says misfire on several cylinders. Does that mean that only one was bad enough to pull fuel?

Assuming that I got my cyl # correct, this would rule out the coil. When looking at the engine from the front of the car, I swapped the front right coil with the one just behind it on the same side. I understand the numbering starts from the front right at 1 then goes front left, back to the next one on the right and zig zags the rest of the way. Can someone confirm that?

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned too much is battery. My battery is likely near its end of life and I saw one undervoltage code the last time I pulled codes (not today tho). May be completely unrelated however but thought it was worth mentioning...

Does this point to anything specific for anyone? I would have checked my plugs but couldn't locate my plug socket... I'm outside of dealer warranty but have an aftermarket warranty. I love working on the car but only have so much time so will take it to the shop if need be...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1