View Single Post
      05-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #118
nullroute
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

So...I bought a used M5 2 years ago - 2014 F10 - was still under dealer warranty and maintenance which ran out last year. All service records show all work was done at BMW dealerships and I only took it to my local dealer as well. Recently went in for maintenance - they changed engine oil, diff oil, and some other stuff.

200 miles later, I hear a horrible noise from the engine - thought it was a water pump. Had it towed to the dealer - got the call - bearing material in oil and filter. Will need a new engine as there are chunks of metal that are all over the place. Dealer is trying to get BMW to pay for a new engine but what are my options if they don't?

I'm not that aggressive a driver - rarely go into manual mode but do like to drive in sport plus engine settings as the car is just more responsive. Not sure how this could have happened - I know I briefly touched red line recently when I forgot I was in manual mode after a stoplight but that was after driving over 100 miles that day - so engine oil would hav been warm (had a 90 minute break in driving).

Wondering if the dealer put the wrong oil in?

I'm def not going to buy a new engine from dealer - but is it worth to buy an engine from a salvaged car? or just sell this as is and someone can part it out? car was worth about 32K before all this - now wondering how much it is worth with a bad engine and how much to get a used one and drop it in? does it even make sense?

thanks.
Appreciate 0