View Single Post
      05-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #120
nullroute
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_M5 View Post
Take the advice from me man. Bought a 2013 with 64K miles (seems to be typical mileage you see these engines go when pushed hard or tuned)

Bought my car from a dealer and literally 30 miles later a rod knock and about 3 days later the rod blew through the block. Had my car get a rebuilt motor which was a nightmare and very expensive due to many reasons. Many members know my story...My honest advice, do not rebuild it or get a rebuilt engine if your looking at it from a financial perspective. I also would advise to not get a used engine as it clearly is just resetting the clock because its still just factory parts. My issue on the rebuilds is that you really have no way of seeing if its actually remanufactured or just a used engine.

Ive dumped so much money into my car from exterior mods to a whole new engine and baby the hell out of mine. Oil changes every 4-5k, new spark plugs, new fuel pumps, air filters etc..Tons of new parts overall... Car is honestly in immaculate condition and one of the cleanest 2013 cars most have seen. However my point is that you will be spending anywhere from 10k-16k on a rebuilt engine including shipping, install etc. Just not worth it unless you keep it a long time. If you sell as is you could probably get 20k for it.
Thanks - we will see what happens - the dealer is trying to get BMW NA to pay for the repairs (new engine + whatever else it needs). If not, then yeah - gonna have to sell the car as is for parts - not worth buying a new engine myself and not worth putting in an unknown used engine - would never recoup the costs of the engine/install plus drop in value due to the swap. Fingers crossed BMW NA comes through.
Appreciate 0