View Single Post
      04-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #91
BlueBliss
Rep
Drives: 2005 GT

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Conclusion: Is Active Sound fake? I wouldn't say so. The engine note is a genuine production from the engine. Active Sound simply amplifies and play it back via the speaker..
I beg to differ on this. If you pay attention to the sound being pumped into the cabin via the speakers, it sounds nothing like the V8TT under the hood. It actually sounds like the whine of a V10. My theory on "Active Sound Design" is that BMW wanted to give the M5 an E60-inspired aural experience. I know some people will wholeheartedly disagree with me, but I don't see any other reason in using a V10 note, other than it being more "interesting/sporty" than the B8 under the hood.

I've brought this up on many YouTube videos (including the popular Autobahn clip:
). The sound you're hearing is a reproduction of a slighly-V10ish engine note. There is nothing V8 about it. Bring up some videos of V10 RS6 acceleration runs, and you'll hear what I mean.

I'm a hardcore BMW fan, and M cars have been my dream cars since I was a little boy. This, though, really doesn't sit well with me.
Appreciate 0