11-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
I forgot that you got this done. I remember you were buying parts but didn't realize the work was done. Obviously no issues. Posting a basic DIY in here would be cool if you have the time.
My intention was to do a full write up but never got round to taking pictures. I did it back in July and just wanted to get the job done as my back was giving me grief. It's not the most difficult rod bearing job I've done but certainly up there, theres quite a bit of stuff to remove.

Rod bearings are appearing to be more of an issue as this platform gets older. Mine were absolutely perfect at 47k but it's been serviced around every 8k before I got it and every 3-5k miles during my ownership. It obviously goes on warm up cycles aswell, my car was obviously treated well by its previous owners, despite there being more than the average amount.

I could do a write up but I'm unsure what to cover now at this point, feels meaningless without images to go with it. I can give advice and answer any questions people may have. I'm not an expert with this engine but rod bearings are rod bearings I guess. I did use plastigauge on every rod to check clearance during the process.

I don't regret replacing mine even though there was nothing wrong with them. As more threads pop up with engines going bad I can relax knowing that mine are ok. Not saying something else won't go wrong though. Every service i fully inspect the oil filter and housing for debris/swarf and always good, next service is due very soon so hopefully this trend continues.
Appreciate 4