SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
I bought my M5 six weeks ago, last service on the car was february this year, mileage 55.250 (88400km). According to the service bill, the oil was changed With 0W-40, all previous oil changes looks to be 0W-30.
Now, after reading all of the threads on seized engines, i am gonna change the oil again this winter, only travelled 1250 miles since last service. Its stored for the winter anyway, and it gives me peace of mind changing it, all though the oil in the car should be good for another 3000 miles. Going With 0W-40 Castrol Edge.

I have to say, reading all those threads on seized engines has made me a little anxious owning a car like this. Or am i overreacting? Certainly lurkes in the back of my head when driving the car. A good '12-13 M5 is $70k in Norway, no way i can afford a $50k engine change on top of that.
Don't worry too much. Everyone can argue about whether or not the engine has known weak points and what they are or how to fix it. The keys are: (and points no one will argue) is to change the oil annually or every 5k miles or so, use quality oil (what weight will always be argued) and let the engine warm up before running it hard. If you do those things you can't let yourself worry about what might happen that's out of your control.
Very sound advice here. I do the same, car warms up in the garage for at least ten minutes before I hit the road. I run in efficient mode and keep rpms low until the oil temp is up past 160. Then I switch to my M1 setting as I get onto the highway and drive the car normal. I also run Castrol Edge 0W40 and change it every year before car goes away for winter storage. Don't let what could happen ruin your time with the car, be smart and enjoy it.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1