08-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I would try telling them you want to get out the lease early without penalty, including refunding your security deposit as a result of their failure to properly maintain the property. You can try to get them to pay your moving costs but I suspect you will be lucky to get them to agree to terminate the lease without a lawyer, which then gets messy and more expensive than paying a mover. Situation sucks. Sorry to hear. Walk away from any other rental with signs of water damage.
My exact thoughts. The only reason I would get a lawyer involved is just out of pride and hopes that corporate has to deal with an annoying day. Sure, I'll probably get what I want, but at a nonsense cost.

My best case scenario that I see unfolding out of this is an early lease termination at no cost to me aside from the PITA of moving (and movers) and starting the process over again at another location. Wishful thinking that they foot the bill on movers, but let's see what we can get out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
There's obviously a flaw in the design or construction of that complex. I'm sure "corporate" realizes that and they have determined that it's cheaper to pay the HVAC and drywall guys to come out every few months. Give it a few more months and AC season will be over and you'll be free of the problem for the fall and winter.

If I was in your position, I'd rip the damaged plaster out and hang a 5 gallon bucket up there. The drain on the AC unit is probably backing up, or the pump is going out/insufficient. It sounds like the leak is predictable and always in the same spot. Just hang that bucket and call it a day. Empty the bucket once a week in the summer and save your M3 from any damage.

Run your lease out and GTFO of there!
What gets me is that the maintenance guy that did the repairs says that he has to do this on all of the units with this floor plan and that there's no way to fix it. Not just my unit, but ALL.

I'm getting to the point that I'm about ready to start ripping down the ceiling to find out what's going on myself, but I see this being delicate already. Tread with a soft (and wet) foot.
Appreciate 0