09-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
What constitutes a "true" ///M engine???
This engine is unique from any other engineBMW has made.
Turbos down the valley with intake and exhaust is is swapped and different from every other "V" engine that I've ever seen.
Depends on if you're an old school //M enthusiast. //M engines have always been about revs and linear power delivery. They do tend to feel a little "flat" down low, but they'll just keep revving and revving until they just scream, similar to a race engine.
This engine is a tuned N engine that doesn't offer much in terms of extra revs. It's REALLY easy to get power out of a boosted engine. //M used to essentially be the GT3/2 cars of Porsche. You'll never seen a GT3 Cayanne or Panamera. This is what really gets the old school guys upset. The X5/6M are amazing cars, but not what //M would have built back in the day. They would have been called CSi models, but BMW want's to milk //M for all it can, and so you also have M-Performance too.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0