View Single Post
      12-02-2022, 09:23 PM   #1
gpep77
gpep77
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5, 2017 BMW X5

New check engine light...Help!

Hey guys! First time posting here. Have owned my m5 since March of 2022 and am unfortunately having some problems with it and want to get some insight as I don't think my BMW dealer knows what the F they are doing and I am tired of throwing money at it.

Car is a 2014 m5 competition with no modifications. Approximately 57,000 miles on it.

On a cold start a few weeks ago the vehicle turned on with a check engine light. Drove the car home and parked it in the garage until I could get it into BMW for diagnosis. Drove fine on the way home and on the way to BMW for diagnosis. They pulled the codes and told me the crankcase ventilation hoses were leaking and throwing a fault code (not sure what code). Spent almost $1,000 for the hoses to get replaced to find out the car had new codes after that they could not clear. They told me the car had aftermarket filters that were oiled and damaged the MAF's and it would be $1,300 to replace. Claimed it was coincidental and had nothing to do with the initial check engine light. I am not an expert mechanic, but have done my fair share of engine work at home so I laughed at the quote and took my vehicle home.

Sure enough the filters were not OEM. They were BMC filters. MAF's looked pretty clean, but might have had some residue on them. Long story short, I ordered brand new OEM filters and Bosch OEM MAF's and have replaced all of the parts to unfortunately find the vehicle still has a CEL and is throwing a code.

Codes before replacing MAF's and filters:

Cleared the codes and put a few miles on the vehicle before the CEL came back on.

Code after clearing codes and driving for a few miles:

Car seems to be driving fine. Possibly idle is a little more inconsistent than prior but its probably me just paying too much attention to it. Seems to hover around 700-900 RPM's once warm. No stalling, hesitation, or significant loss of power; however, I haven't driven it hard since the CEL came on.

Any ideas?! Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0