View Single Post
      02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #54
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Easy there. You take risks period when adding mods to perfectly normal car from factory. With the E60, most opt for aftermarket springs, add wider tires, add tune, change exhaust, raise s85 rev limit to 8500rpm, etc. Nothing new here so a risk is a risk and we know from history, German engineering always put conservative limits for specs.

I suspect Gpower tune limits a lot of that tq hitting the high values for sustained period on the gearbox. Will it reduce DCT life..sure but the advantage of having more tq and hp will always outweigh killing DCT..at least until we see a few grenade from aftermarket tunes. How bad could it be anyway? SMG in my factory spec car died 20k so nothing we are not used to

I await what our friends at Dinan have to offer.
SMG/DCT replacement will run around $40K. Hey, if you're willing to throw that kind of money away, then go for it!. I've had it completely redone (under warranty) on my E60 at 22K miles. I also had the POS defective Dinan differential replaced at 54,000 miles because they didn't fully seat the Pinion gear. Eventually just wore away the teeth, then broke. No warranty though, since it went 54K miles.

I'll be interested to see what the G-power 'warranty' is. If G-power has done anything to relieve the stress on the DCT, they didn't say so. I suspect they haven't done a thing.
Appreciate 0