08-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #33
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I would venture to say that the gap should stay stock.

I didn't have bm3, but a Dinan piggy when my engine went. Unknowingly, I gapped my plugs down to what the bm3 guys used when I performed spark plug maintenance. It went boom afterwards. I don't know if that was the culprit for sure, but something eats me up just thinking about it.

FIRST OFF- that sucks your engine blew up! and ive heard of dinan being on a blown motor too. like twice, u were prob 1.. not as common, BUT you just had to throw in that you copied a BM3 protocol didn't you?! lol.

I finally got time to watch the video.. very interesting stuff. a great share. thank you

i did mention in my original post that guys with no tunes and a blown motor admitted abusing it, driving it hot, etc
and i do know that the downpipes run close to rear cylinders(or crossbank for cyl 5&6.. when one jumps its usually a cylinder near the 'back' of the motor near DP's (correct me where im wrong) and seems like i always see or hear of cyl 5 or 6 blowing out.

so a hot spot from dp perhaps, or hot spot in cyl created from running it hard and hot will cause an ignition during compression stroke, and whenever, yea sounds very detrimental

MORAL OF STORY: keep the baby cool.
I do know bmw def wants This motor to stay cool because it has a very good cooling system and US spec cars get something called 'hot climate pkg' (somebody tell us what exactly extra we get for cooling purposes with that)

i wont even drive in weather over 80°F i love it so much(borderline unhealthy lol)

i was gonna go Dinan at first, but thanks to this forum i found true unbiased info about it and i Decided I didn't want a piggyback tune bc that simply 'tricks' the ecu and I really didn't like that because my previous dinantune on a previous car was a flash. it was awesome, and i also didnt want to run wires and plugs. it looked like a PITAS.

more and more everyday im thinking about just getting cold start and CEL from downpipes coded out and just leaving the ecu stock

bc id rather have this thing 4 years at 600hp than 800hp for 4 months
but my plan is to keep it forever or until its very outdated if it never becomes sought after. so i probly should leave it stock.
Appreciate 0