View Single Post
      05-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

For the past couple of years I've steered clear of pro sports for the most part. I watch an occasional game but that's about it.

It's a new season and I was about to find a way to watch SF Giant games on TV without paying hugely. I'd love to go to a game once in awhile but its no fun for me if I don't know the players. Watching games on TV helps me get to know the players so I have a reason to care about actually going to a game.

Then today I read this headline: "Giants manager Gabe Kapler says he will skip national anthem going forward". He says it's because he does not like the direction of our country or something like that. I absolutely don't what to get in a political discussion here, but I do have a sports/team question for any of you sports fans out there:

Should a player, or in this case a manager, make a personal protest about anything while playing for or managing a team? My personal answer is hell no. When you are on that team, you represent the team and not yourself personally.

If, in this case, Kapler, wants to take is own time in his street clothes and protest anything at all, I say go for it. But, while representing the San Francisco Giants he is out of bound making any kind of personal statement.

Again, my issue and my question for anyone who cares to answer is about team commitment and what team members should and shouldn't do as a member while representing the team.

I think Kapler is wrong for using his position and uniform to make a personal statement. If I were part of SF Giant ownership, I'd be having a very serious sit-down with him and remind him of his role in the organization.

What do you think? As a team member, should Kapler be allowed to make personal protests while in uniform?
Appreciate 0