JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
No, I'm not kidding you.

All cars are depreciating assets, the perceived value you receive from it depends on many factors. I don't know what the residual values are on an M5 but its ridiculous to think that a PMS second hand F10 M5 would not sell for more than a standard silver car. Residuals are based on original MSRP, so if per chance a 3 years old PMS F10 M5 is worth 50% of its original value (no offense if this is high or low, just for explanation purposes) then the end cost to the original owner is $5k. Perhaps it is worth it to the original owner, couldn't this same argument be had over optional ceramic brakes? Optional wheels? Competition package? It doesn't end.

One could even argue that trading up into a new car every few years is "throwing your money away" ask me, I've been driving the same BMW since 2006, my better half has been driving the same Honda since 2007. We'll sure appreciate it though when we retire early, we're both babies still and although we would like to trade the CR-V for an x5, it just doesn't make sense to us.

To each their own, but one shouldn't let someone else's decision to spend $10k on a paint job upset them so much. I would bet $10k is pocket change to most PMS buyers.
here in the UK, a "premium Colour choice" would NOT add much if anything to RV.