05-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
Well, I took my 2017 BMW m2 with 1700 miles on it to my favorite detail shop and they gave me a BMW i3 as a loaner. All I have to say is if this is the future of the automotive industry im keeping my m2 for the next 50 years. I know it was an i3 and not a "high performance" EV but it's absolutely awful ...

What I don't understand is how a company like tesla which sells only 80,000 cars per year, has some quality issues, looses hundreds of million dollars a year has a market cap bigger than GM and Ford motor company.

I personally never see EV's as more than a niche product for tree huggers who are fooling themselves as they plug their cars into outlets supplied by coal burning power plants. Oil is cheap and plentiful and evs are expensive to build and do absolutely nothing for the environment.

Give me and ICE any day of the week over an electric car .... even a tesla.

What do people think?
I have never driven an EV, however, they don't pollute quite the same. Agreed that the electrical power may not be as clean as some would like everyone to believe, but a gas engine pollutes pretty badly when cold short trips are not just hard on the engine, but the environment as well. So depending on what you are comparing the EV might be better environmentally. If your commute is lets say 8 miles or less each way, or you daily driver is only making short trips for groceries and other needs the electric car might make more sense.

Further, as solar gets better and more houses are equipped with them AND if the solar panels can recharge the car, then obviously there is no comparison pollution wise. Will we get there? Maybe, I think the electric/hybrid car is pretty much here to stay, in 20 or 30 years they might be the majority of cars on the road depending on how the technology develops. We will still need the fossil fuels for aircraft, shipping and probably other things. My .02

PS, I'm keeping my M2.
Appreciate 1