05-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
My neighbor has an i3 (and a 1M & 235i). I've driven the i3...terrible, IMO. In any case, this part of your statement is spot on:

"...who are fooling themselves as they plug their cars into outlets supplied by coal burning power plants. Oil is cheap and plentiful and evs are expensive to build and do absolutely nothing for the environment..."

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Lithium is only mined in 5 countries and will probably be in short supply (sooner than oil?)...then there's the eventual disposal of the batteries etc...I might consider Hydrogen some day...?
You raise a good point about the lithium. It can and is recycled. There are a lot of them out there now in all kinds of devices. Science is continuing to advance battery technology and I bet there will be some other battery technology at some point down the road. Other types will work as well and they all have disposal issues. look at all the lead-acid batteries that are in use now, they are much harder on the environment if not disposed of correctly.

I like the Hydrogen option as well, it burns perfectly clean when used as a fuel, explosions notwithstanding, we should be able to manage the fuel either as a direct source or fuel cell for electric power generation.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50