View Single Post
      12-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I took my first test drive of the GTS on Saturday. I really enjoyed it too. A few things stood out:
1) Handling is superb - really flat in corners.
2) Sound is brilliant - I actually think it sounds louder than my F-Type, though it is certainly a little less theatrical (no machine gun fire sound).
3) Power response and gearbox are great

The only thing that did bother me though was how prone the car is to wheelspin. Seemed a lot like my F-Type in that regard. Made me wonder whether I should just get a 911 Turbo S instead. These days it seems you can get a 2014 Turbo S for around $130-140k. So that's a little less than 2016 AMG GTS.

As for depreciation - so far the GTS is doing very well - but all cars are like this in the first year. To me there are two near term things to watch out for regarding GTS:
1) If they launch the GT model at a $20k discount over the GTS. I heard that the GT is coming in the spring. This will automatically know about $20-30k off the price of a used GTS I think.
2) If the model year ends in March. When we look at the computer the last reservable allocation is March, so it could imply 2017 models are coming in April. If that is the case then expect discounts on 2016 GTS in April.

What are your opinions on 2016 GTS vs 2014 Turbo S Vic55 and E90potentialbuyer
Hey stealth.pilot

My Turbo S was a brilliant car to launch but I felt it ran out of steam as triple digits started up. This is proven with the M6/M5 times from 60-130 similar or even better at times due to parasitic drag from the AWD. The GTS is just so nice inside and the RWD rear weight bias helps in launches. I will admit that I got rid of my Turbo S too early (about 8 months in) and still crave the car, thus my consideration on a pre LCI 2016 currently. Its still probably the best daily driving AWD car/sports car out there that can be modded easily for gains. I just really love the way the GTS drives. The steering is about is good as it gets with no understeer in turns and bends. Even the Turbo S has what I call, mild understeer in the same situations. The interior of the GTS is much better and the stock sound is incredible, as you stated. I agree 100% with your comparison of the GTS sound vs the Jag. I loved the Jag's daggers but it was indeed, at times, excessive. Both the GTS and Turbo S handle very well. I do like that the GTS gets the magnetorheoligical dampeners. I love them on my Lambo/R8/FF and my previous 458. They just keep the car perfectly flat. It would be a hard choice to say which one is better but since I have the GTS and have already dumped the Turbo S I'm biased. I do think the GTS is the more fun car to drive and hear. While the Turbo S will get you there slightly quicker I don't think the journey is as fun.

I too had and have wheelspin but I found this was due to the tires just not up to warm temps. With the tune I have more issues but this is overcome with throttle modulation or keeping ESP on vs Sport or Off. The differential does a good job in the ESP on mode and I found myself having better "off the line" lift off's.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0