Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchimo View Post
The following is the only recommended and approved synthetic oil for BMW M (Motorsport) vehicles in the US market with gasoline engines, at the present time.
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Synthetic Oils for BMW M vehicles equipped with S54, S62, S65 or S85 engines:

Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil

Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420)

If Castrol High Performance Synthetic Oil is not available and you need to add oil between oil changes, only use synthetic oils with the following specifications for M vehicles:

Viscosity - preferred SAE 10W-60

Alternative - SAE 10W-40, SAE 5W-50 or SAE 10W-50

Use only oils with an API rating of SJ/CF, SK/CF or higher.
Obsolete technical document you are referring to... 2012+ M5/M6 engine code is S65tu. What is the date of issue on the pdf?

BMW could learn from other manufactures that rhyme with "iota" (don't flame me too bad) when issuing such documents! Put an expiry date or clearly state the date(s) of production it applies to. Not just an open ended document good for ever and ever. When I bought my M5 and first had to add oil I was confused as the manual and what was in my trunk from the dealer were different (TWS 10w60). I wanted to confirm this and I had to call 4 different BMW dealers before one in Canada (Edmonton x2, Calgary x2 and finally a Vancouver dealer (took 30 minutes to ask Master Technician) that told me BMW Performance 5W30 was a correct oil (there are 3 other weights we can use).

My point is that the first three dealers refereed to the above document as gospel... dangerous! I guess the saying is correct owners often know more then the dealers selling the car.
Appreciate 0