View Single Post
      03-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #87
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
One of the overlooked aspects of the 911 in terms of daily-driver-ability is the front overhang. After getting used to the short front overhang on my previous 135i, I've lightly scrapped the bottom of the front bumper on my Accord quite a few times pulling into not-so-steep driveways and parking lots. The 2-series also has a pretty short overhang and is quite forgiving in that regard.
This is any exotic/high performance car though. I started getting used to this with my WRX, which has far more overhang due to the engine in front of the axle, but then with my subsequent cars, including the lowered bmw, it's never been an issue. You don't go into a place that you aren't sure you can get out of. You take transitions (driveways, entrances) at an angle, an extreme angle if necessary, to prevent scraping. Apart from these cars, more cars are coming with lower air-dams to improve aerodynamics for efficiency. When you start driving stuff like a 911, it's not really the front overhang, it's the combination of the nose length (overhang), the low fascia, and the overall height of the car.

I can't count how many people I see that still ram the wheel into the curb when they park...on cars that won't clear it.