03-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #12
Cloudsurfer355
Patrick
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcaB View Post
I bought an ID6 retrofit kit on eBay that utilizes authentic BMW parts from the newer G series chassis. There is a cheaper kit if you don't want to have the touchscreen. I chose the touchscreen as I wanted to be able to interact natively with CarPlay apps on my iPhone. The seller is out of Europe, and was a pleasure to work with. He precoded the unit to work with my vehicle. For a few extra bucks, I even got a head unit that still supports the Sirius XM used here in North America, as opposed to the European head units which won't retain Sirius XM compatibility here. If you don't use Sirius XM radio, then it's a nonissue and you can save a few extra bucks.

It was pretty easy to open up the dash and install the screen, iDrive touch controller, and ID6 NAV radio unit. It took me about 45 minutes to do all of it, and it worked just fine the first time I powered it up. He coded it correctly and I didn't have any errors. Just remember you'll have to repair your bluetooth connections on your devices again (specifically delete them off your mobile phone and then re-add them), and then you'll be good to go. My phone asked me if I wanted to use the wireless carplay feature with my car, or just bluetooth. I started using CarPlay and I'm super happy with it. To me, it was worth the money because I wanted a natural CarPlay experience, and didn't want to rely on one of the unreliable Android units that get bricked easily and leave you left without ongoing security updates due to the no name Chinese vendors not supporting it after the sale.

Anyways, here's the link for the retrofit kit I bought that had the touchscreen, ID6 NAVI head unit, and controller touchpad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313634713038

If you're not sure what to buy or what you need, message him on eBay and just tell him what you're wanting to accomplish - which features you want, and he should be able to help guide you to the right kit on his eBay page.

I'm not affiliated with him in any way. I'm just a happy customer. I've been eyeing this retrofit for a few years and was just barely able to find the time and money to get it and install it.

I was sold already, but now I'm really sold
Appreciate 0